Way 2-1-1’s Role in Disaster Response
United Way 2-1-1 is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week for people seeking services every day. When a disaster strikes, United Way 2-1-1 plays a key role in communications and serves as a resource information line.
During a disaster, 2-1-1 does the following:
- Connects victims of disasters quickly with emergency services
- Collaborates with other voluntary agencies, law enforcement, fire departments and emergency managers to assure coordinated response during community emergencies
- 2-1-1 Information & Referral Specialists relieves 9-1-1 operators from callers with social needs allowing 9-1-1 dispatchers to focus on emergency services
- Links those offering help during emergencies to the appropriate response
- 2-1-1 provides a built in surge capacity for public information during disasters
When an emergency or disaster situation happens, United Way 2-1-1 will provide resources, bulletins and guides on this page.